How to Make Sea Moss Gel
Are you interested in purchasing our Dried Sea Moss but a little intimidated by having to prepare the gel on your own? Here are some easy to follow instructions for how to make your own Sea Moss Gel at home.
Things to Know Before you Start:
- When handling Sea Moss always make sure your hands are clean so that you do not contaminate the product.
- Never use tap water when preparing the gel. Use filtered or spring water, when both washing and soaking the Sea Moss.
- A little goes a long way! After soaking your Sea Moss it will expand 2x its original size. It is not necessary to make all of your Sea Moss at once. Just 2 oz. of Sea Moss, can make about 32 oz. of Sea Moss Gel.
- Our Sea Moss Gel recipe is 100% natural, it does not contain any additives or preservatives and is best when used within 3 weeks.
- It is very important that your Sea Moss Gel be kept refrigerated in an airtight container (mason jar or Tupperware container).
- You can pour Sea Moss Gel into plastic ice cube trays and freeze to extend the shelf life from just 3 weeks to 3 months. The frozen Sea Moss cubes can easily be added to your smoothies or used on your face to reduce puffiness.
- Remove your Sea Moss from the package. (It will have a slight smell. That is a good thing!). Place your dried Sea Moss in a large bowl, cover it with water, and massage the Sea Moss untill it is clean. Be sure to remove any visible sea debris, dirt, or particles. We recommend cleaning your Sea Moss twice to make sure it is cleaned thoroughly.
- After cleaning, place the Sea Moss into a large bowl and cover it with filtered or spring water. Make sure all the parts of the Sea Moss are submerged in water. You can add a squeeze of lime juice while soaking, to help neutralize any ocean smell and taste.
- Cover the bowl and allow it to soak for at least 12-24 hours. Do not oversoak. Leave it on the counter covered at room temperature. You do not need to soak the Sea Moss in the refrigerator.
- After soaking, you will notice it has lost some color (almost translucent) and has expanded 2x its original size. It is now ready to use! Remove Sea Moss from the water and put it on a clean/dry plate.
- Add the Sea Moss to a high-powered blender with just enough filtered or spring water to cover and blend. Slowly add more water and blend until you've reached your desired consitency, about 1-3 minutes.
- Transfer the Sea Moss into an airtight container/mason jar and refrigerate. The Sea Moss gel will thicken in the fridge after 2 hours.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of your Sea Moss Gel to your smoothies, tea or juices for a nutritious boost and enjoy!